LHT has 250-bed spaces. We provide supported accommodation single homeless men and women from 18 years.
Clients we offer tenancy related support
All clients of London Housing Trust are referred to us via a number of referral agencies with HIGH to MEDIUM support needs.
Their risk factors could be:
Street homeless – with a chain number
16-17 or 55+
Drug and alcohol willing to engage with local services
Ex-offender – with a HIGH to MEDIUM risk based on the index offense
MAPPA 1,2 or 3
Ex Care or Foster Background
Diagnosed Physical Health Issues
Ex – forces
What Type of Support do we provide?
Tenancy related support (support to assist you sustaining your tenancy). that we offer are aimed at helping people live independently in their homes. The level of support varies from twice a week floating visits to projects staffed from 9 am to 5 pm and some overnight and security staff.
Meetings are held at least once a month. These typically last for 1 hour where problems are discussed and the clients are encouraged to develop solutions for themselves and in the shared community homes as a group with the more capable clients assisting or peer mentoring the less able.
Clients are encouraged to get involved in all aspects of the trust with responsibility ranging from giving help and advice to becoming a full board member. Clients are also given the opportunity to engage in volunteering for the trust. Work experience opportunities range from assisting new clients to settle into specific jobs that enable each shared home to operate as in an independent community.
Examples of these could be:
- House Management / Director level involvement
- Delivering post to the room of the addressee
- Communal cleaning
- Low-level maintenance
We will always provide tenancy related support:
- an independent Risk and Needs assessment provided by the Referral Agency
- our own Risk assessment
- our own assessment of your needs based on the Outcomes Star updated every 6 months
- a safe and clean place to live through our accommodation partners Greenwich Lets Limited
- a health and safety and risk assessment of your property
- Immediate and Intensive support at the start the tenancy to start any Claims such as UC or HB
- arranging aids and adaptations
- assistance with developing a plan for MOVE ON including budgeting, volunteering (CRISIS) and gaining employment (BITC) and registering with council and CHAIN
- Signposting to Estate Agents that provide move on accommodation
- we DO NOT provide MOVE ON ACCOMMODATION
- help with moving and setting up the tenancy (informing HB and DWP of changes)
- we will collect and manage your utility payments
- group meetings held at least once a month to discuss any benefit/housing issues
- we will collect and negotiate payment plans for rent arrears
- of course for your own safety and security, we will move to evict anyone who is intimidating or bullying you
- increased letting support and assistance with claiming HB and other welfare benefits due to high client turnover
- Assistance and support with any DWP medical reviews – that may or may not affect your tenancy
- Controlling access, facilitating and monitoring site visits from contractors and other visitors/professionals
Ongoing support for non-tenancy related issues will include:
- meetings held at least once a month to discuss any problems you may be having that are not tenancy related
- Finance management and budgeting (including managing your money)
- Signposting to provide access to a range of local services (GP, CRI, Dentist etc.)
- Helping people with social skills, such as motivational support and preventing loneliness and social isolation through our peer mentoring services
- Help with form filling e.g. Social Fund, DLA & AA etc.
- Setting up an appointment with a local bank to open a basic bank account
- The provision of a mobile phone with £5 credit for those without phones
- A monthly housing benefit check to ensure clients are still receiving benefits
- Development of outcomes-focused support plan (see below for a support plan example)
- Employment support may include work experience within the maintenance and admin teams of Greenwich Lets Limited
- Educational support may include computer training in our head office (1 hr per week)
- Counselling is offered to all clients. This course runs for 1 hour per week for a minimum of 12 sessions
- Re-connection with family. This is actively supported through counselling and mediation
Support Planning is a vital part of our plan and with an initial referral from a suitable agency with an assessment of Risk and Needs. Our own Risk and Needs Assessment form the integral monitoring of the progress of our clients.
A Support Plan Example
Support might also include:
- More frequent supervision provided by contracted support workers
- Life skills, advice and guidance such as acquiring domestic skills
- Enabling and encouraging clients to develop their social skills
- Help with Job seeking and setting up a business
- Support with moving on into more independent accommodation
- Accompanying clients on trips
- Counselling through our network of volunteers
- Advice and guidance through our partnership organisations
- Specific help with HIV, Transgender or Sex worker issues through our SWISH partnership
How would I get Supported Accommodation?
If you contact us at email@example.com or you can use our Referral Page to let us know the project in which you are interested then we will arrange for one of our team to complete an assessment of your needs.
There is often a waiting list and you will need 2 complete the 3 stage assessment process before being accepted. If you feel that supported housing may benefit you, you should bring this up at your next review meeting both if you are in a hospital or with your care coordinator.
What happens when I get a job?
Most probably you will be entitled to have your rent paid by housing benefit for 28 days after you start work. We will also pay for your support costs from that time also.
After 3 months in work your tenancy will be evaluated and, if you are ready, we will start to look into a more secure accommodation closer to your job. Of course, this process is flexible and will always be driven by your needs and goals.
What happens when you leave the project?
We will always offer after support for as long as you need it through our network of clients past and present.